Yay it's Friday!! This week went by much quicker than last.
Enter a GIF displaying how freaking excited I am for it to be Friday.........
Yesterday I was browsing blogs and found this gem. I read a lot of her posts and whatnot, but her latest one made me smile. It had a quiz posted on an online store's site, Bourbon and Boots (don't click if you have an online shopping addiction like me), and I couldn't help but take it. I like to say I'm half southern, but a definite country girl. And considering my results, I guess I'd be invited to sit on the porch :)
From Bourbon and Boots--
We’ve had a lot of border states claiming the South lately, and we’ll admit, Southern-ness is largely a state of mind. So how can you know for sure if you’re a Southerner? Take our completely fabricated Southern citizenship test, and see if you make the cut.
You’re a bona fide Southerner if you answer yes all of the following statements. If you answer “yes” to all but two or three, don’t worry, we’ll still let you on the porch.
1. Buying alcohol on Sunday is a royal pain in the ass. UMMMM yes what the heck is with this phenomenon in the South??? It became habit for me in Memphis to have to make a trip to the liquor store not on Sundays. Here in California, liquor stores are sketchy little shacks run by middle-easterners and a really good place to get shot at. You just buy your liquor/wine/beer all at the same place: The grocery store.
2. I once parked a car in the backyard for a week, and it was nearly overtaken by kudzu. Yep. Try a whole freaking summer. I left my old car Preston (a Honda accord) parked in my dad's lower driveway in Johnson City, Tennessee, for the summer. Good ole dad didn't bother to take it out once the whole time, and when I got in it to pack my stuff, it was infested with CARPENTER ANTS. I mean INFESTED. Thousands. All over. I had to take every box that was already in the trunk (the whole summer) out, shake everything off (not an easy task when you're terrified of bugs), and drive to home depot (with the little fuckers crawling all over the place) to get Raid since my dad was gone and my stepmom was working. THEN the next day I had an 8 hour drive back to Memphis during which I kept a can of raid in my cupholder and killed an ant every half hour or so. It was super fun. I had to bomb the car once I got settled in Memphis.
3. When it comes to real estate, a pecan tree in the yard is a valuable selling point. For sure. I love me some pralines.
4. If everyone is driving very slowly, it must be Sunday. Um or every day?
5. My state has a team in the SEC. Try 2 (when I was in college)
6. Gambling. We all do it, we just don’t talk about it. Check.
7. If you’re over the age of 7, sugar does not belong on grits. Heck no. Put some shrimp, cheese, and spices in those bad boys.
8. At least once in my life, I have been the deserving victim of a “whipping” with a “switch” of my own choosing. True. Even though I grew up in San Diego I still got these. It's not the norm, though, don't worry.
9. That fizzy sweet drink is pronounced “coke.” And so is that one. Yeah. I never conformed on this one. I stuck to saying soda and getting made fun of every single time. Coke is coke. Sprite is sprite. Dr. Pepper is Dr. Pepper. Sorry I'm not sorry!
10. At least one member of my household regularly hunts. Yep.
11. I have ridden in the back of a pickup truck … as a young child. Of course. I also learned how to drive a stick shift in my dad's truck on a mountain road before I had a permit.
12. There’s unsweet tea, and then there’s regular tea. Haha YES! If you ask for Sweet Tea in California the waitress will say "we have regular tea and sweetener?" No, dummy. Not the same thing.
13. I do not live in Oklahoma. Lol correct.
14. I have seen numerous episodes of “Hee Haw.” Actually no. Oops.
15. At least one thing in my home is monogrammed. Uh duh.
16. Banana pudding is a requirement at any potluck dinner. If I wasn't completely revolted by Bananas, sure.
17. St. Louis-style barbecue does not count. No it most certainly does NOT. Memphis BBQ is the only real BBQ.
18. The car in front of me has its blinker on. It probably won’t turn any time soon. Nope. And if a car in front of you is suddenly stopping in the middle of the road (not in the turning lane, even though there is one), they're probably about to turn.
19. There’s a very important difference between cornbread and hush puppies. Was this really ever a question? Hush puppies are one of my favorite foods on the face of the planet. Cornbread's cool and all..but it's definitely not the same thing.
20. I have seen Graceland, and it was good. Ummm like the place? Yes I've been. I lived in Memphis. But this is phrased more like it's a show or something? Hm. But anyway. Graceland was actually cooler than I thought it would be. It is in the HOOD though. Fair warning.
If you live/have lived in the south, definitely take this. It's sure to inspire some silly stories and I'd love to read them!!
So now I'm sitting at my desk, looking through insurance options. Ugggggh. This is how I feel about enrolling in insurance...
Now for a little rant. We all know I love my job, and most of the people I work with. However. There is a certain someone who works in a different department as me but we still have to communicate often, who was hired the same time as me. We had our orientation together and right away she just rubbed me the wrong way. I won't say her name but it's a name that she insists on people pronouncing a certain way, which to me is just obnoxious. And it's spelled like it always is and I've never heard anyone insist on it being said phonetically. I would liken it to if my name was spelled Nichole, and I insisted on people pronouncing it "nitch-ole". See what I'm sayin'??? IT'S ANNOYING.
Alright fools, that's all I got for today. Tonight we're taking Caitlin to Orfila to wine-taste and then they have an outdoor movie, which I'm super excited about. Except the movie they're showing is Almost Famous, and since I have a 4-year-old's attention span I'll probably fall asleep or have to get up and do something else because I know that movie doesn't interest me. Oh well.
Have a happy Friday, everyone!!