Monday, July 15, 2013

My new bedroom, and some thoughts.

Happy Monday everyone.....

Oh who am I kidding. Y'all know how I feel about Mondays.
So this weekend was a little insane. Friday was fun. I cooked parmesan-crusted tilapia over creamy pesto pasta for my friends and drnak a whole box of wine while they confided about their boy issues. So happy I don't have those at the moment! Then Saturday morning I got up early and went through all my clothes to sort out ones that need to be donated and ones that I need to try to sell at the local resale shop. I still have too many clothes. Oh well! Sorry I'm not sorry :) Then my mom and I moved all of my furniture outside and I went to Home Depot to get the stain and sandpaper and top coat. I also decided to see if they had any burlap, and I hit the freaking jackpot! Did you know you can buy an 80 inch by 80 inch square of burlap from there for 5 bucks!?!?! You can. And considering I saw a roll of burlap at Michael's for more than that, I'd say that's a steal. Only downside is it smells like, well, burlap. So anyway. I came home, started sanding and sanding, and could NOT get through whatever coating Ikea put on that damn furniture. No stain, so why teh need to put some Fort Knox-style coating on top of it, Swedes!? I was pissed. Needless to say, the stain wouldn't stick. So back to Home Depot I'll go this week to return it and I will be dealing with my plain oak furniture probably until I get married and get new shit. Oh well. The alternative would have been waiting until Sunday to work on it because I could have borrowed a friends electric sander, but the whole project would have been pushed back and I couldn't get it done over the weekend so it just wasn't in the card. But anyway. Here's my new room, nonetheless!





I also did soem crafting yesterday using my surplus of burlap I now have. I made a wreath, decorated some jars to hold makeup brushes and hair stuff in my bathroom (which I'll have pictures of eventually), and I also took out the silk flowers that came with that vase on my shoe rack when I bought it liiiiiike 8 years ago and made my own yellow sunflowery bouquet of silk flowers. I feel like it goes better with the rest of the room than the orange and pink flowers.




Saturday was also my little sis's birthday!! She turned 21 and it broke my heart I couldn't be there to celebrate with her :( AOT, little shit!!!



Also, since this is my blog, I'm going to discuss the other big thing that happened this weekend: Zimmerman was acquitted. Let me preface this by saying I don't agree that he got off punishment-free. At the same time, I also don't think that he's a racist, I acknowledge the fact that he's multi-racial himself, I have read as much of this case as I can possible stand to, and I also don't think he should have been charged with murder. With all that said....

If I see one more post on my social media newsfeeds crying racism and discussing how effed up our country is, I am going to lose it. Bad. I already have a few times mildly. But it's getting to a level that's just absurd. I just wish people would educate themselves in a way other than just reading what someone famous for whatever reason who might have the same skin color as them is saying on their twitter or facebook page. For instance, read the case. Or, familiarize yourself with the law and the way a trial-by-jury works. Just a couple ideas. The thing that angered me the most in all this was seeing something thrown around on facebook comparing Zimmerman's trial to that of Marissa Alexander. Marissa Alexander was in an abusive marriage and divorced her husband's sorry ass and also filed a restraining order against him. All good with me. Then she went over to his house to supposedly get some of her belongings during a time she supposedly thought he wouldn't be home. He was home, and an argument ensued. It didn't turn violent, but supposedly she was worried it would and so she left the house, went to her car, got her gun (which she legally owned) and walked back into his house and fired a few "warning shots." Nobody got hurt. But she tried to use the Stand Your Ground law to get out of her aggravated-assault-with-a-deadly-weapon charge. I'm no legal expert, but I'll gladly explain why this didn't work out in her favor: She wasn't defending herself (at least from a legal standpoint). She wasn't under any physical attack and if she had time to walk out to her car and walk back inside that implies to any logical person that he wasnt chasing after her trying to physically attack her. Of course, if he had beaten her in the past he deserved to get his balls chopped off and then get shot in the head a few times a long time ago, but unfortunately the law is the law and she broke it. Should she have gotten 20 years in jail for it? Not in my opinion. However, to compare her case to George Zimmerman's is completely stupid. Yes, she was black, he was white-ish. But did you know her prosecutor was the same as Zimmerman's????? Betcha didn't. Bottom line: The outcomes of the two cases had nothing to do with their respective races.

I'm not saying racism doesn't exist. I'm not saying George Zimmerman should have gone against what the emergency dispatcher told him and gotten out of his car to confront Trayvon Martin. I am saying, however, that to use this case as a platform to try to prove that America's justice system is racist is not only ignorant, it's also extremely frustrating and hurtful to those of us that take pride in having one of, if not the most, fair judicial systems in the world.

I could go on and on about this, but I won't. If you've read through this all, congrats!!!! Email me with your thoughts :) I love discussing these things.

With that, I'm....


I hope y'all had a fabulous weekend--can't wait to go read about them all! Let this be a great week.

2 comments:

  1. I feel the exact same way as you do! It's been so frustrating watching people's reactions. The other thing that is annoying is the rioters! People in FL are not rioting so why are they everywhere else? Unfortunately, we will probably hear about it for another month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Another wonderful point that nobody will acknowledge. I know I'm just fueling the fire by responding to the people who won't shut up about it, but sometimes I just can't help myself :)

      BTW, you're listed as a no-reply blogger so I can't respond to you via email! Its super easy to change--let me know if you need help!

      Delete