Monday, December 9, 2013

It has begun (again).

Hey fools.

Hope y'all had a great weekend :) Mine was good, but not because of December Nights. I've talked about my issues with the San Diego Alumnae chapter of my sorority and Friday night didn't make it any better. The president didn't plan anything. We all discussed going as a group a month ago at our meeting (which SHE held to get the chapter organized) and I made a newsletter with that explicitly on there, and then I text her on Thursday and she says she doesn't know if she's going or not. I went with Lindsey, we met up with one other girl, and none of the other women said anything about going or not going. Turns out, the president went both nights, just didn't tell us. And either way, December Nights sucked. When I was younger, it was actually called Christmas On the Prado. Then they had to make it all PC and shit and it was basically a giant Octoberfest. There were a bunch of fried food stands and small businesses selling their stuff. There was no caroling, no performances at the Organ Pavillion (it was just lit up with a tree), and no live nativity. Heaven forbid anything at a public park endorse a Christian holiday.

So, we spent an hour at the Beer Garden (see? Octoberfest.) before we bounced. Needless to say I was disappointed and will not be turning that into a Christmastime tradition.

Anyway. The rest of my weekend was fun. I wanted to get decorating done but we're having the carpet cleaned today so it's going to have to wait until tomorrow morning (not very Christmassy right?). But I'm super excited because I'm having my 2nd-annual Christmas Pajama Party this weekend!!!! I'll post more details tomorrow :)

So anyway, I found a 5K in the beginning of February called the Mermaid Run. It's all women, there's no cut-off time (it's also a marathon and half-marathon, and there's a 1-miler for little girls) and it just sounds like a good race to be my first. Brittany and Lindsey say they'll do it with me, so we will see.


This morning marked day 1 of my 5K training. I made a schedule based on the one Hal Higdon has for beginners. I replaced most of the "walk/run" days with 30 Day Shred, since, ya know, I just stopped doing it halfway through. Some days I may decide to just go for a walk, but I'm putting it on the schedule to hopefully just keep me on track:


I know with the holidays coming up (and therefore my work schedule getting a little out-of-whack), it may be difficult to completely stick to this schedule, but I'm going to try my hardest to make it work. There's a little lake about a mile from my house that's just got a dirt path around it. It's only a 1-mile loop so pushing the distances should be easier than around my neighborhood, which is a 1.3 mile loop and hilly. The loop around the lake is relatively flat, and more interesting scenery than a high-school track. I also fully intend on using the Sunday walks at Mission Trails and hiking.

If you've followed my blog for any of the *almost* year it's been on the internets, you know I haven't stuck to anything I've said I was going to do. But I haven't ever felt like I wanted it like I want to be a runner. I like running, as much as I hate it. I want to be good at it. So I'm really praying I can stick with this.

Anyway, enough rambling from me. If any of you are planning any runs in the near future, tell me! Also, if you've ever used Hal Higdon's training programs, how did they work out for you??

Alrighty fools. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment