Tuesday, September 17, 2013

How I survived a flood...

Hey fools! Sorry for the late post. I didn't come to work until noon today, and this is where I generaly write my blog posts. Anyway. I was a terrible blogger and didn't take hardly any pictures this weekend in Colorado. But that just means I was too busy having fun. I did, however, almost get swept away in a flash flood. I'll get to that in a second.

I got to Colorado late Friday night, and Chris and I stopped at McDonalds (I was hungry) and went to his house and went straight to sleep. We woke up bright and early on Saturday, went into town to visit one of his buddies and on the way I snapped this picture:


Yes, Chris drives a bright orange truck.


It was a gorgeous day out on the Eastern plains. I absolutely love where his parents live. Then we went back to his parents' house to pick them up and go to the new Cabela's in Aurora. We took his parents' car, which is a RAV4. Small SUV, but it has 4 wheel drive. This will be important in a few minutes, trust me. So first we stopped at the new property his parents just bought and will start building a new home on soon. It's actually in the town of Byers, not 30 miles out off a dirt road, which will be nice for them and their commute. We got out of the car to start walking the big property, and Chris somehow got fireants all up his pants. He ripped them off and we smacked them off of him, right as the neighbors pulled into their driveway :) what a great first impression, huh?!

So then we went to get lunch, and as we were driving toward Aurora, I saw a dark sky not far off in the distance, and lightning. But I lived in Memphis for 3 years so I can handle a thunderstorm every now and then. Well, by the time we got to the restaurant, it was extremely dark outside and very windy. Tornado sirens went off and I got a little worried, but they went off after about 10 minutes and rain started falling. As far as I know, that's a good sign the tornado is gone, which it was. But what I wasn't expecting was pea-sized HAIL to start pouring out of the sky as soon as we got into the car. Y'all, I've never seen hail bigger than a sliver of ice that melts as soon as it hits the ground. This was terrifying for me. It was SO LOUD and I'm not exaggerating when I say that within 5-10 minutes, the road we were on already had at least 5 inches of water flooding it. We got under an overpass where people were pulling up onto the side underneath it, and probably wound up getting stuck there, and then we found a medical center or something with a carport that we pulled under while trying to get a hold of Chris's brother, who was home, to warn him this storm might be coming that way. Once we got a hold of him, Chris and his dad (in the front seat) chose to try to get out of Aurora despite the rising flood, which was covered in a layer of hail. I was FREAKING OUT. Literally, crying with my head between my legs. I saw a car that was completely covered up to its roof in water. It was serious. A part of the road we were on had been washed away. Luckily the car we were in had 4WD, and Chris's dad got us out of it and on our way back to their house. I did take these two pictures in all the chaos, but it definitely wasn't the worst of it:



I'm so sad for the people who weren't as lucky as we were to make it out unscathed. Without even a hint of hail damage. So many people are still unaccounted for from the flooding that hit different parts of Colorado the last week, and it's just so sad.

But anyway. I needed a glass (or bottle...or two bottles) of wine after that fiasco, so we stopped at the liquor store and I got these, which I drank when we got home:

Judge me for drinking cheap sweet wine. I wanted something Chris's non-wino mom would drink with me. I succeeded! I'll be turning her into a wino soon.


Sunday, Chris and I actually did go to Cabella's, and then to Bass Pro, where we picked up some country folk things. Then I cooked dinner (pork tenderloin and twice-baked potatoes) for the fam, and we just chilled for the rest of the night.

Yesterday I came home, after a major mishap at the airport I won't get into. I had such a good weekend. It of course went by way too fast and now I'm sad to be home, but I'll see him again soon (probably in about a month).

No, we didn't do 30 Day Shred like we said we would. We really didn't do anything we said we would this weekend. But oh well. I did it this morning before work and feel ready to move up to level 2 tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Hope y'all had a fab weekend as well, and keep the victims of the flooding in Colorado and the shooting in D.C. in your prayers. I almost feel fuilty for having had such a good weekend in the midst of all this tragedy.

Have a safe and happy Tuesday.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh.. I am so jealous right now. That picture looks identical to my grandparents farm. It's probably pretty close to where you were actually- the airport bought some their land to build on. (Love the orange truck!)

    I can only imagine what the neighbors were thinking.. lol

    So glad you made it out of the flooding okay.. flooding is scary stuff.

    Jen
    Jen.amileamemory@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're actually pretty far from the airport--south of 70 and farther east! But it's the eastern plains still lol.

      I'm glad I made it through the floods too! Lol!

      Delete